Me asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 8 months ago

What is the process of placing a child for adoption?

There must be some protocol before a child is placed for adoption, can social services apply for a court order even is the mother is in contact with the child and fights to get him back?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Put it up on Ebay

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

By social services, I'm assuming here that the child was placed in foster care?

Not all children placed in foster care are immediately available to be adopted and some never will be. The goal in foster care is **always** reunification with the biological family, if possible. The state will develop a parenting plan with the parent/family to abide by and will give them several opportunities to turn it around. The state terminates rights as a last resort and TPR (termination of parental rights) can take several years with that. They will only terminate rights if the parent/family is unfit to parent. It's only a quick process in extreme cases of abuse (sexual, mentally, physically, etc). Even a parent incarcerated long term doesn't lose parental rights if the child will still be a minor when they're expected to be released (unless the victim of their crimes is the child)

Contact with the child - do you have visitation? Or is the child in foster care with someone known to you, like a family member or friend? If you don't have court approved visitation and this person is allowing you access to the child be aware if/when the state finds out... they will move the child. If this person is a licensed foster parent, they will likely lose their license.

If the mother is fighting to get the child back, that would be a mother that is following the parenting plan to make it happen. That's the only way it happens. I've done foster care a long time and I've had parents that did whatever the state asked them in order to get their kids back, I've had others who did absolutely nothing and others who did the bare minimum to make TPR take longer and get additional chances. I've had some complete the plan and go home, then return to foster care.

A lot of kids adopted from foster care do still see their biological family after adoption. For siblings, grandparents or other relatives they have a strong bond with, the judge can court order visitation post adoption. My daughter, I've had her since she was born and adopted her shortly after her first birthday but she still had a relationship with her biological mom (who died when she was a toddler) and she sees her biological mom's family on a regular basis which consists of a grandma, aunt and a half sister that was parented by her dad (the sisters dad). Her rights were terminated shortly after she was born and her rights were terminated to her older daughter several years before that.

• 8 months ago

It takes a lot of neglect/abuse to take the birth moms rights away forever. Normally they try to reunite the child with the parent unless the parent is considered unfit.

• 8 months ago

In the United States, social services is contacted, and if a child is in danger of being harmed, he or she is removed, and placed in foster care. Our oldest daughter who became part of our family as a teenager went to an emergency shelter first, then to foster care while her mother was given the chance to correct the situation.

When the situation remained unchanged after about two years, her mother's parental rights were terminated.

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Faith
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It really depends on the situation. Children taken from parents are rarely often put up for adoption. Most often it is just temporary and the child is put in foster care. For a child to be placed up for adoption the parents need to waive their rights or lose them. Often a judge is involved. Depending on the situation depends on the length of the process. Social services goal is to keep families together, not tear them apart.

"can social services apply for a court order even is the mother is in contact with the child and fights to get him back" - Of course, they can. If the mother is found to be unfit she will lose her child. She is given a chance to fight for the child and improve her life, but if she doesn't the child may be given up for adoption. The child's age is often considered too.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Yes - social services can take a child and put them up for adoption even if the parents don't agree, if there's sufficient reason to do so.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Talk to the hospital if it’s being arranged before the kid is born, they normally sort that kind of thing out, at least in England they do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.