Why do we advertise so much in America?

As a kid, I remember tv commercials and the ads on the radio. But they were merely annoying. The best way to describe ads nowadays is harassment. Already paying for a service? Be ready for the company to send you more advertisements to spend more money. Just trying to see what your friends and family are up to... show more As a kid, I remember tv commercials and the ads on the radio. But they were merely annoying. The best way to describe ads nowadays is harassment. Already paying for a service? Be ready for the company to send you more advertisements to spend more money. Just trying to see what your friends and family are up to on social media? Good luck. You're going to get a newsfeed full of ads. Got good credit? Be ready to get 20 credit card offers in the mail a week. Just bought a car? You're going to get ads to extend your warranty when you don't even have a warranty. And wait until other dealerships find out and you just got a a new car because they'll be sending you ads to buy theirs just in case you want another or you changed your mind and want to trade it in already. Look something up on Google once, you're going to be bombarded with ads on EVERY webpage and app you use after that. Heck, there's even the conspiracy that if you talk about something, it will be advertised to you to death. It has gone way too far!

What I don't get is, this is America. We don't even need to be advertised to. We buy with and without ads. When we want something, we get it! Even if we cannot technically afford it, we get it. Yet the ads have gotten completely out of control. What gives? Why are companies so money hungry they need to practically kill us over advertising?
Update: Honestly, I can't even imagine a lot of money is made from the consumer when 90% of people gripe about how they hate ads. If a YouTube ad, for example, is skippable most people skip it. And if it's not, we gripe and don't listen to it. So how is any money even coming from us folks? We're not... show more Honestly, I can't even imagine a lot of money is made from the consumer when 90% of people gripe about how they hate ads. If a YouTube ad, for example, is skippable most people skip it. And if it's not, we gripe and don't listen to it. So how is any money even coming from us folks? We're not thinking about buying, we're thinking about how to shut the ad up.