Oregon waterfalls: spring or September? not sure when best time is for waterfalls to be full and also to be able to swim.?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

The falls at Silver Falls State Park are running full right now, but swimming, hell no. In fact, I think they tell you to stay out of the plunge pools

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

September for sure, it will still be cold though.

• 9 months ago

September is the best month of the year in terms of weather (usually). May and June CAN be nice but not with any great dependability. Most waterfalls in the gorge are year round. As another poster answered, many of the plunge pools at the base of falls arent deep enough for swimming and you arent allowed in some of them (like Multnomah Falls) due to risk of falling rocks.

• 9 months ago

sorry, I shld have been more detailed.. yes I meant the Columbia river gorge area.... and by "swimming" I mean wading in the water around the waterfalls.. maybe dipping in but not a full on swim. I really want to come in September but wasn't sure if the gorge would be just as scenic as it is in the spring.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

99% of the waterfalls in Oregon are year round. Being part of the Pacific Northwet, it can rain any day of the year. The Columbia Gorge falls are mostly fed by underground springs so the flow (and water temperature) is more-or-less consistent year round. During heavy rain the flow can double from surface runoff but it quickly (4-8 hours?) returns to normal.

Swimming in an Oregon body of water is not for everyone. Virtually all of the ocean water and ground water is at 50 °F / 10 °C year round. Exceptions occur a few days per year after extended high air temperatures. Mountain springs are colder, typically around 40 °F / 4 °C. Clear Lake in the Santiam Pass emerges at 33 °F / 1 °C. The major rivers (Columbia, Willamette, Deschutes) remain cold (below 50 °F / 10 °C) until July. But even on a peak hot August day, the water remains below 70 °F / 21 °C: refreshing for a few minutes, but death from hypothermia is possible in as little as two hours.

The waterfalls in the Oregon Coast Range are fullest in the spring. Most of these are a trickle in late summer.

• 10 months ago

The water fails along the Columbia River generally have water year round.

They aren't like some places that have been drops and a pool at the bottom. You might be able to wade around some of them but they aren't swimming areas.

• 10 months ago

Which waterfalls - those in the Columbia George?? Anytime during the rainy season Oct - May. But I think they flow year round. Swim?? You wouldn't be doing that in the waterfalls. For that you'd have to use your hotel's pool. Or head for the coast. Though the water is pretty chilly there.

• 10 months ago

Which waterfalls? Oregon has a couple of different climates and you aren't going to find the same conditions across the entire state. Spring is when the most water comes down most rivers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.