Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 year ago

Will a tank ever cycle if you add fish right away?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

If the tank has a filter and you add a sorce of ammonia, it will begin to cycle. fish are a sorce of ammonia. Thousands or millions, or who knows how many people have kept and will keep fish that dont even know what cycling is, and yet their filter will still cycle in 4-8 weeks. And will still uncycle when they change all the filter media at once, or add too many fish at once....

It is stressfull and painfull for a fish to go through a fish in cycle, even a mini cycle is rough. They will be permanently effected by the ordeal. Some were along the line, the fish will start acting funny, and the owners blame the store, blame the kids, blame the towns water. But the fact is they gave their fish black lung disease when they used them as cleaning tools.

1 year ago

In six weeks or so.

1 year ago

The short and quick answer is yes the tank will cycle right away however your fish will be apt to die if they don’t they mediately from shock. Another issue is stress related diseases such as ich, fin and tail rot, swim bladder issues etc.

It would be the same as if you were trapped in a small confined space had only 4 yds of oxygen to breathe for several hours, you will survive but afterwords to be more susceptible to stroke, heart attack, pneumonia and other ailments that would appear besides PTSD.

Whats the horraible hurry? Why bother stressing the fish when you could let the tankcycleproperly. It won’t hurt them to stay in a pail, jar or bucket as long as it’s oxygenated for the duration of the cycle.

My son killed off a tank of over 150 fish, hw managed to drop a pound of food in the tank, transferred the fish into a pail, did an emergency breakdown of my tank then filled it using filtered water, distilled water, well water and bottled drinking water, he forgot two important things, first was the water treatment and tthe sting the other was to match the temperature. He managed to cook the whole lot of them, the tank was 94 degrees, the ucket was 68 degrees. His excuse was he used the super filter in the tank with “activated charcoal” but didn’t read the directions that it took 72 hours to cycle all 300 gallons.

U can try and force the fish into the tank however don’t get upset if they all die or get sick.

• marissa1 year agoReport

I’m not in a hurry I just wondered. I have a betta in a cycled 10 gallon tank but the people I live with just bought two glow fish for there kids and just put them in there. I feel really bad for them and the dad says he had fish awhile back and knows what he’s doing so i just wondered.

• 1 year ago

Yes, but it will kill your fish.

Your tank goes through several bacteria spikes as it cycles and the spikes are toxic to fish.

So...the fish put in before the tank is cycled will die painful and horrible deaths.