Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearOther - Games & Gear · 9 months ago

I spilled some beverage on cables and plugs? Is it a danger?

I was sitting near the cables and plugs using my computer. I picked up the canned soda and turned everything off. it’s the internet cables and plugs. I unplugged all of them and wiped it of course. Is this anything to worry about? I spilled a little bit. It was not an entire drink. How soon can I re plug everything?

I let it dry for 1 hour and re-plugged it. would it be a danger?

I went back to check 3 times and everything was fine.

Favorite Answer

There is no "danger" at all, even if the cables and connectors are fully wet.

The voltages and currents involved in data transfer are quite low

and cannot develop perceivable heat.

The main problem is the damage done to copper by phosphoric acid.

It is nearly instantaneous and it is absolutely irreversible.

Any cable that does not work after that spill should be replaced.

on the cable, no, on the adapter/connections yes, but you should be able to clean them off using a wet towel. Make sure it is completely dry before you plug it in. You can use a hair dryer or leave it overnight to dry, and then once its dry, it should be good to go.

As long as you didn't get the actual connectors wet, then there is no problem. There's are reason they cover the cables in rubber.

Yes don,t do that either again.