Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 months ago

If you're a "born again" Christian and you sin does that mean you're not really born again?

1 John 5

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • janhoi
    Lv 6
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well this is the problem with the born again movement. They subscribe to the notion of "once saved always saved" and "instantaneous salvation" as if salvation was some sort of a lottery or a telemarketing scheme.

The fact is that the Ancient Church and most Christian traditions recognize salvation is a process. Hence St Paul's admonition to "work our your salvation in fear and trembling" in Philippians. The first step is through Baptism, which is what it really means to be born again as per John 3. Not some personal conversion experience. Then the next step upon entry into the Church is being immersed in the life of the Church through Word and Sacrament. Through Word because this is where the commands are delivered to us. Christ tells the Rich young ruler to follow the commandments and he will be saved(Mark 13:17-31). Through the Sacraments like the Eucharist because they are Gifts of God's grace and an aid in the spiritual life just as how the Manna from heaven was a gift from God when the Israelites were starving in the wilderness.

So salvation is a journey. Scripture shows us this through the Exodus and the journey to the promise land. The idea it can be achieved through cheap spiritual tricks is one of the major misleading consequences of the heresies of easy believism and cheap grace that is preached in born again Christian circles as well as Evangelical Protestant ones.

Source(s): Anglican Christian
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

Yes, I think so.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

No. You start over every Sunday. Sin, repent, repeat. Sin, repent, repeat.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

That verse is referring to the new nature. When we are walking in the Spirit, we don't sin, ever. It is an encouragement to walk in the Spirit. When we are walking in the flesh, we sin. All believers are sinners that still sin, and if we say we have no sin, then we lie and the truth is not in us (1 John 1:8).

When we believe in Jesus for eternal life, then we are forgiven all sins past and future, and we will be in heaven (Acts 10:43).

The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed in Jesus for eternal life, or not.

The truth is that Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Nobody is "born again". You are born just once. I mean come on, how do you think your mother would feel if someone tried to stick you back in?

• 10 months ago

You may slip and fall in some area, but you repent and get cleansed and go on with Christ,

It means you won't continually sin

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Hahahaaaaa naillled it!

• 10 months ago

And yet in 1 John 1:9 there is God's "Second Law Of Pardon". How does that fit with the question at hand?

• 10 months ago

I think the person that the verse is referring to as born of God is Jesus, not sinners. He was the only one I know of that has never committed sin.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

I remember my born-again years. Every time I did something the least bit wrong, I would get so scared that God was going to kill me.

I'm much happier as a born-again pagan.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.