im 1/8 japanese. Can i get japanese citizenship?

both of my parents has been japanese permanent residence for more than 10 years. my mother is 1/4 japanese. and ive been in japanese for 10 years and has been japanese permanent residence for 7 years. im turning 20 this year. and i was wondering if i could get japanese citizenship because i wanna live here in japan for the rest of my life. is it possible for me to become japanese citizen even though both of my parents arent japanese? im fillipino born in australia.

• Maxi
    Favorite Answer

Naturalization in Japan requires the applicant to give up their current citizenship(s) Continuous LEGAL residence in Japan for 5 years before you can apply

• james

You would hit the very bottom line that they do allow. But it would take years for them to decide your case. Do you have skills, education, a job? Maybe.

Ask the Japanese Government

• Here is a novel idea.

Ask this on a Japanese language website, where people will be far more conversant with Japanese law.

You have no claims to birthright citizenship in Japan. Your mother needed to be registered Japanese citizen at the time of your birth to have any claim. So you have no claim, your mother has no claim.

Ask your parents for complete details about their status & yours in Japan. Are they on any track which eventually allows for naturalization as Japanese citizen? Can you keep your current status once you turn 21, or are you a dependent who will lose that status shortly? Japan is one of the most difficult countries in the world to obtain citizenship, so it's highly unlikely. A great-grandparent who was Japanese is not going to help you obtain any status.

• Liar

Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to ask this question on a Japanese Q&A site, rather than one mostly inhabited by Westerners?

Anyway, Japan has some of the strictest immigration laws of any first-world nation, so the answer is probably 'no'. But it wouldn't hurt to check.