Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 1 year ago

Should I buy an acoustic guitar or acoustic electric?

Benefits of one over the other?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

You don't really need an acoustic-electric unless you intend to perform for others, where a straight acoustic might not be loud enough. If cost is an issue, just buy an acoustic.

Another thing to consider, you can buy a sound-hole pickup to put in a straight acoustic if someday you find that you want to amplify it. I have an acoustic I bought in 1983, and still use it with a pickup that pops into the sound hole.

• 1 year ago

So, go to Guitar Center and play a bunch. You will find your sound, dreadnought or auditorium

It is all about the bass, middle, and top within your budget.

You probably will start acoustic.

My mom bought my first guitar for $10 at a pawn shop. I cant believe i actually played that POS for others.

I bought a new Yamaha FG 230 dreadnought 12 string in 1970 for $150. Spruce top, mahogany sides. I finally put a Fishman pickup on the hole.

I bought a 1969 Yamaha FG 140 dreadnought 6 string in 1976 for $75. Spruce top, mahogany sides. I put a Fishman pickup on the hole.

I just bought a 2012 Washburn WG26SCE Grand Auditorium for $160. Cedar top, rosewood sides. Has built-in Fishman Isys+

50 year old spruce has a very bright sound. But the cedar top has a much fuller sound.

So, there ya go.

Just don t stop, eh?

• mars
    1 year ago

I'd go with an acoustic, and use a sound-hole pick-up. I'm not a fan of piezos.

1 year ago

The acoustic electric, but it will cost more that's for sure because of the internal mic for the amplifier.

• Tony B
    1 year ago

I m assuming that an “acoustic electric” guitar is what we in the UK call an electro-acoustic - an acoustic guitar with a built in transducer allowing its sound to be amplified. If I m wrong then just ignore my answer!

Only you can decide, it depends on your needs. The ability to plug the guitar in is very useful if you perform in public and need to be louder. It can also be useful for recording either becuase you don t really need the best possible acoustic tone you can get or you are in a noisy environment. Also, it s FAR easier than using a mic if you want to use a looper or have an essentailly acoustic sound but use effects.

If this doesn t apply then there s no point in anything else but an ordinary acoustic.

• Mike
    1 year ago

An acoustic guitar is probably cheaper, which something to consider in case you give it up soon.

• 1 year ago

Acoustic electric guitars from my experience are not very reliable. I would go with a regular acoustic and use a microphone to amplify it if you need to.

• Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

You don't know what you're talking about. Please don't answer questions when this is the case.

• 1 year ago

rnaybe you can buy thern both

1 year ago

If you're a beginner (and you want to play the acoustic guitar) then buy a beginners' acoustic guitar. The Yamaha FS800 is a great one to get. A acoustic electric guitar is needed when you're ready to perform for a group of people and you need the amplification. By the time you're ready to perform in public you'll be on your second (or third) guitar and that's the one that should be an acoustic electric.

Source(s): Playing acoustic guitar for 56 years.
    1 year ago

yes, you should.