Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 year ago

How I abandoned Christianity and became an animal welfare activist...?

I was raised in a very conservative Christian home. Every argument made to me against Christianity fell upon deaf ears. Even appeals to my being gay were met with "God is more important".

Then one day, I listened to a lecture on the history of the wolf in North America and the effective genocide that occurred there when the British arrived. One of the contemporary justifications for the unimaginable cruelty involved was that Jesus himself equated wolves with the devil (Matt 10:16). On the same day, I visited a wolf sanctuary and was so taken in by these creatures and so loved by them that I could not believe that any intelligent person would think them evil, effective predators though they are.

For the first time in 20 years, I told my pastor and family that I was finding an aspect of Christianity really difficult; if Jesus was God he would have foreseen that his words would be used in this way. My conclusion was either that Jesus was God and God is a psychopath who doesn't care about cruelty to animals or that Jesus wasn't God and was simply talking in language typical of his era. They all laughed at me and said words to the effect of "animals don't matter, all that matters is bringing this world back under God's control". At that moment I realised that Christianity and my natural values were fundamentally opposed.

Faced with empathy to animals or my religious beliefs, I chose animals. It was painful for a while, but I'm as proud of that choice as any I've ever made.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I also rejected Christianity. I embraced the religion of my ancestors, Norse Polytheism, and my life has significantly improved in the years since. I am more at peace spiritually, I am closer with both family and friends, and far happier in general than I ever was as a Christian.

• 1 year agoReport

After some time, I too embraced the religion of my ancestors though mine is Graeco-Roman Polytheism. Looking back, I see my recognition of animal worth as the beginning of that call.

1 year ago

Good on you.

Religion = Hate.

• 1 year ago

1st of all, I think this is a dumb troll story, but in case it's not......Matthew 10:16 says nothing about wolves being like Satan, so you are wrong there............2nd: try reading Revelation 21:8 for enlightenment re: the choice of being "gay"

• 1 year agoReport

The bible is enlightening?
      How are lies enlightening?

• Stella
    1 year ago

I'm not sure what is meant by "appeals to my being gay", but okay.

Has it occurred to you that the bible has been used to justify slavery, genocide, denying rights to women, abuse of children, and any number of other things that people just felt like doing?

But you focus on wolves?

Keep in mind that wolves probably did pose a threat to early settlers, and very certainly to their livestock.

• 1 year agoReport

Of course though it was my love of animals that reached a place in me that other issues wouldn’t. In my view the arrogance that asks “ but you focus on wolves” bears the influence of Biblical anthropocentrism.