Why is racism a difficult topic to talk about?

I bought the movie Green Book the other day and it's a very very moving and funny movie, everybody should watch that. What I found really interesting about the movie is how a person's attitude can change just by the influence of a companion. At my job, my co-worker once told me that our boss grew up with... show more I bought the movie Green Book the other day and it's a very very moving and funny movie, everybody should watch that.

What I found really interesting about the movie is how a person's attitude can change just by the influence of a companion. At my job, my co-worker once told me that our boss grew up with a very racist grandmother and he has used racial slurs around work before. I told him I did not want to hear that and he has never said it around work again. He still has problems though with liberals and minorities and he looooves Trump. He's an older guy (middle aged) and I try to avoid talking about social issues with him, we just get into an argument.

I think even my own dad had racist relatives as well. One of his relatives (she's white) was raped by a black man and she has never liked black people ever since then.