Ed asked in SportsRunning · 10 months ago

Just started running and my calves are killing me.... is it safe to walk?

I've been walking 4 miles 4 days a week for about 2 months now, just starting running and my calves are not having it!

I wanted to do my first 5K Walk Run in a month, but I don't think my legs will let me. It sucks because the rest of my body is ready to go, my heart and lungs are doing amazing, and lost 20lbs .. . my legs just aren't cooperating.

I just took a two day break and it's much better but now I already feel so lazy i'm paranoid I'll go back to being a couch potato.

Should I just keep walking for another month? How far should I push it running?

Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

resting for a few days is good but you got to motivate yourself to get back to it. walk long distance...run long distance but rest the day before your marathon

• Login to reply the answers
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Make sure you are warming up properly, doing dynamic stretches of all the muscle groups you'll be using in your workout.

Make sure you cool down properly and stretch all the muscle groups you used, holding your stretches at least 30 seconds for the muscles to fully relax.

Also consider running using a run/walk intervals method while you build up your strength. No need to quit running, but the pain is your body telling you something isn't right. Listen to your body.

• 10 months ago

You don't mention that you do any strength training. Walking is just getting the circulation going and burning calories. If your calves are killing you then you're probably not stretching right or making them stronger with other exercises like squats, calf raises and lunges. Walking is really not enough to sustain your legs. As much as you don't want to do it, working out your legs in isolation is really the only thing that will help.

Good luck!!

• DIEGO.
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

i like running!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

i would just go see a doctor about it and he'll let you know if its okay to run like that

• 10 months ago

you might be centering your weight wrong or pushing yourself in a way it feels uncomfortable. maybe talk to a flipping doctor? im on yahoo answers i dont know

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.