Best options for trip to washington dc?

I am going on a planned vacation for washington dc. My plan was to leave on the friday and return sunday night, I live near Albany NY and was going to drive both ways down. However I might have to appear on court on friday now over something stupid which messes up my trip. I need to be in washington dc on... show more I am going on a planned vacation for washington dc. My plan was to leave on the friday and return sunday night, I live near Albany NY and was going to drive both ways down.

However I might have to appear on court on friday now over something stupid which messes up my trip. I need to be in washington dc on saturday morning by 9. If I have to go to court on friday morning, I can still make to dc in time on saturday.

I have two options:
a. Leave friday afternoon and sleep in my car somewhere at a rest stop for a few hours overnight
b. try to leave albany at 2 am and drive down middle of the night. If I chose option b, how bad is Jersey traffic. Is Jersey traffic still bad at 4 or 5 am on a saturday?
Update: I planned originally on staying at the hotel on friday night into saturday, then again saturday night into sunday. But now if I have to go to court, that screws me up, I cannot make it down in time for friday night, so I am stuck either sleeping in my car or pulling an all nighter