Are transgenders mentally stable?

Favorite Answer

Not as generally stable as people who understand their own sex. The transsexual's mental instability is not helped by the political enablers who are not actually interested in the plight of the transsexual, but rather about their own selfish political aims.

Some aren't, most are.

They can be or not, like anyone. Being born the wrong gender would obviously be a strong blow to the mental stability, but many of them are strong enough to hold it together. It helps to have a support group.

Absolutely. The trouble is that stable people don't make the news.

"Are transgenders mentally stable?"

It's interesting how people who don't know any better or are just plain ignorant assume anything they don't understand must be a mental illness.

Let me educate you.

Let's start with the terminology and grammar first. "Transsexual" and "transgender" at=re adjectives and not nouns. This is important for two reasons. First, trans people have genders just like everyone else. Also, using these words as nouns marginalizes them as "other" instead of the people they are. (see graphic below)

Next, transsexualism is a scientifically proven physical birth condition. A transsexual person is a person who was born with a gender identity programmed into their brain that is in opposition to the sex of the body their were born into. This results in a life of pain and misery as people never see them as the gender they really are and their body feels profoundly wrong. When a transsexual person transitions (aka "sex change") they are affirming the inborn gender identity by changing the body to match and assuming a gender appropriate role in society. Transition is the only proven treatment for transsexualism.

A primer that may help:

http://forum.beginninglifeforums.com/index.php/t/1...

Next, let's tackle your framing transsexualism as a mental disorder. Trans people do not have a mental disorder. So says the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American Medical Association, the World Health Organization and the World Professional Association for Transgender Health. Transsexualism (gender identity-body mismatch) is a birth condition that carries with it profound social consequences. Because people like you don't understand you inflict severe amounts of minority stress onto trans people. That makes it more difficult for them to accept themselves and pursue medical treatment. With treatment trans people can lead happy and fulfilling lives like anyone else.

.

Source(s): me-woman who was born transsexual (post-op)

Well I have a lot of depression but I'm a lot more comfortable since top surgery and have no regrets over transition. If people reject me for a relationship because I've transitioned then that's not my problem and they weren't right for me. I'm not going to compromise who I am for the sake of other people.

Often not, but it's because of transphobia and the trauma of having to grow up in the wrong body. We're not mentally ill by definition any more than left-handed people are.

Being trans is usually not the easiest experience... So I wouldn't blame them for possibly being a bit unstable at some point, having to deal with that. But.. many of them, once they've fully come to terms with who they are, and found people that 100% accept them..? Can live happy, functional, meaningful lives! So no.. I would NOT automatically assume they're unstable. And also, for people that are mentally a bit "unstable"..? That usually does NOT mean they're dangerous! Not even in the case of schizophrenics! Who have.. like.. the worst reputation ever. Unfortunately. :S

Anyway, I dont think trans people have a greater prevalence of psychotic disorders. If anything, I'd imagine they have a greater prevalence of depression, anxiety, etc. Especially early on in life, before they've figured themselves out, and gotten the treatment they need to be happy.

Not really, no.

i honestly dont think so, i understand gay people and have no problem whatsoever with gay people but transgender is something very bizarre and to me they are not sane.

as sane or insane as u