Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 10 months ago

True/False: The RAM is more important than the processor when choosing a descent gaming laptop?

...or is it?

Will a 8GB laptop generally be better than a 4GB ram with more expensive processor?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

that's not necessarily true I have seen some laptops that have a 1.7 gigahertz processor that has 8 gigs of RAM and that would be totally worthless for gaming. On the other hand I've seen laptops that have a 3.4 processor in it that only has 4 gigs of RAM installed. if you plan on doing any serious gaming you want a fast processor and lots of RAM you can always add RAM but if your processor is slow you can forget doing any serious gaming.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Arimatthewdavies gave you a pretty good answer, but I'd like to add in also that it depends on the type of game you're playing. If you're rendering a massive amount of graphics as in VR or an open world game, the system's requirements will be wildly different. Less than 8gb of RAM will typically handicap you just as a poor GPU would, but even with 8GB of RAM you're going to have trouble loading some of the more iterative processing intensive games unless your GPU is quite solid.

Keep in mind that if you wait till a new line of RAM or GPU comes out, often the still very nice last gen's price will go down and you can sell your GPU or RAM on eBay or to an ITAD company to put it towards the price of your upgrade. Reddit/r/rhardware swap isn't bad either. Happy gaming!

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Most important is meeting the game's requirements.

If you don't have enough RAM the game won't run. But extra RAM will have basically no effect on performance, so there's no point in getting 32 GB unless you run something that needs it. A laptop probably won't even run those handful of games that need 16 GB of RAM.

For the CPU, what does the game need? Can it use lots of cores efficiently? Or does it just need 1 or 2 fast cores?

And the GPU is usually the problem with gaming on laptops, they're power efficient and usually not so great for gaming, but you can get laptops with actual video cards in them. I'd definitely go for one of those if you want something for gaming.

• 10 months ago

the faster processor, esp if it also has to do the graphics, is superior

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

False. Most Important for Game. In order of Importance:

1. Mother Board - Chip Set

2. Processor

3. GRAPHICS Card (with on board RAM).

4. RAM. 8 GB minimum

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.