What career options do I have?

Okay, so I'm really interested in working in the health care field. I'd like to do something neuroscience related, but I'm not interested in a solely research/ lab career. I'm also not interested in being a neurosurgeon. I'd like to work at a children's hospital with patients who may have seizures, various mental disorders, leukemia, and other sicknesses of the sort. The problem is, the health care field is ever growing, and I don't know the "title" I'm going for. Would I just go to med school and get my MD? Or what are my other options? How do I do online research on something like this? Neuroscience searches always lead to just getting my master's degree & doing research in a lab.

Best Answer

If you would like to provide a medical diagnosis for patients upon examination (and/or their lab/test results), whether they have seizure disorder, mental disorder, leukemia and/or other illnesses, then perhaps medical school (D.O. or M.D.) is a route to consider. However, the medical student may need to do a clinical rotation in surgery and/or emergency medicine, for instance, which should be especially intense.

I'm not sure if you're wanting to do cognitive therapy, such as for those with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), stroke ("brain attack") - which is a type of brain injury - dementia/Alzheimers, or other such conditions that may affect cognition. If that's the situation, then perhaps looking into training to become a clinical neuropsychologist (PhD or PsyD) may be an option.

If you're considering getting schooling to provide cognitive therapy, perhaps you may consider job shadowing, especially at a *physical rehabilitation hospital*, which may have a program for people with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), stroke ("brain attack") - which is a type of brain injury - .and/or other neurological disorders (and may include those with seizure disorder).

• cat

This is your career, therefore you need to do the research on this. You cannot expect random strangers on Yahoo Answers to tell you what path you should take in the vast field of health care just by telling them you don't want to be a neurosurgeon. Jannsody gave you a great answer to get you started, but you need to do a whole lot more research.

• mmddge8 months agoReport

Hi. I agree with you. I don't think you should assume I haven't researched. I've found that with the healthcare field ever growing, I didn't want to assume I held all the knowledge, which is why I reached out to others for ideas. I'm not asking you to decide my life. That'd be a terrible choice.

i would go to rned school and figure that all out once youre there

• .

A Pediatric Neurologist.