I've got an Xbox One,and while it's a great system, and I can download games on demand, I like discs. Will we eventually go all download?

Or will we always have people who, like with the concept of driverless cars, always prefer to be in control, to have a disc in their hands?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

I'd hope discs still are in existence for many years to come, but there will come a time when everything will be digital.

I'm not really too bothered if it does though. I prefer digital to disc since I can play another game while downloading a new one, for example. But I tend to buy discs purely because they are cheaper. If digital was the same price or cheaper, though, it would be digital all the way for me.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

100 years from now everything will be streaming, no more physical discs or cartridges

• Malachi7 months agoReport

That's ridiculous, discs are still incredibly reliable, and can only be stolen in person.

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Xbox One still accepts discs. next gen will also still accept discs. though the next gen will come in two tiers, like the Xbox one S / X. the Lockhart will supposedly be a discless version and less expensive. while the Anaconda version will still be able to play discs. it's possible Lockhart will also have a disc, and they make a third Xbox One console that is discless.

but, with stores still selling discs - best buy, game stop, walmart, Amazon, etc. it's going to be years if not decades before everything is completely digital.

i'm the same as you, i prefer discs. it's rare, though possible the system and service could eventually die out, and unless you have games installed on your device, you won't be able to play them all if they are all digital.

but i don' think we have to worry about that for a while.

• SRΛSC
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Microsoft is looking to release an all digital Xbox One before the end of the year. They've also launched a game streaming platform.

Apple also recently announced one called Apple Arcade as well as Google with Google Stadia. Sony likely would answer as well before too long.

So it looks like yes, the future is all digital, downloads.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Xbox One still plays via discs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.