Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 8 months ago

Are weeds bad for a lawn? My3 acre lawn has every kind of weed in it and when 1 grass/weed browns another turns green so its generallY?

Green all year and isnt that what we want? And if it has so many types of plants, could it be more disease and pest resistant ?

• elhigh
    Best Answer

Weeds are plants where you don't want those plants. That is the entire definition. It may be a highly desirable plant in one spot and unwanted in another. Where you want it = feature, where you don't = weed.

My son is an agricultural researcher and my wife is a horticulturist. This is the answer they both give when asked "what is a weed."

So if you're cool with the plants in your yard, that's it. They're not weeds. If you like the character of your yard and don't feel any need to change what's growing there, you're good to go.

• Anna E

It is a lot of work to keep a lawn weed free. I have dogs and all I care about is something green growing in the back yard.

If it was not for the weeds I would not have a lawn . I cut it every two weeks and it looks decent . I do not use pesticides or chemicals of any kind because We have a well and I do not want chemicals in My water . The perfect lawn is something the Chemical Companies have promoted to make themselves rich . Not worth getting Cancer .

• Mog

Some weeds can be ok. But some weeds can take over and eventually kill the grass. Healthy grass in the right soil, water, and sunlight conditions can often fight off a weed infestation.

• Iam

Your lawn - your rules.

Mine is AWFUL - full of moss, it is too damp and shady for decent grass, so I kind of give up on it, after many years of perseverance.

I'll have a moss lawn instead.

• elhigh

Considering that fact that I don't think I've ever seen moss more than about 2" high, I'm a little envious at not having to mow.