promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is the difference between Microprocessor and microcontroller?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

It's the target application, as far as I can tell. Nobody would call an Intel Core i series processor a "microcontroller", but pick one of the many offerings with an onboard graphics controller and there are more transistors in that chip used for "peripherals" than in just about anything you'd call a "microcontroller".

The Intel 8080, 8085 and Zilog Z80 chips used in early 8-bit microcomputers were actually designed and marketed for microcontroller applications. "Real" computers were mainframes at the time. Same for the 8088 used in the majority of true IBM PCs sold.

If the application is a device where the processor is being used as a control element in a system that's not intended to be a computer, that processor is being used as a microcontroller. I'm tempted to add something about the "micro-" in "microcontroller", but all processor are microprocessors this century.

Processors designed for that use will chip area to implement peripherals used in many or all small systems. ROM of some sort (usually flash EEPROM) for program storage, RAM, timers, UARTs, digital I/O ports, analog-to-digital and/or digital to analog converters; instead of using that area to implement multiple cores or huge cache memories. This reduces chip count in the final design, at the possible expense of including circuits that won't be used. It's still a net win.

Both of the first two answers describe microprocessors as "bulky". That's accurate, since the goal in nearly every microcontroller application is to reduce manufacturing costs (chip count is a big factor) and power consumption. Still, to a guy who grew up with room-filling computers programmed on punched cards, the idea of a smartphone a "bulky" is pretty funny!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

Microprocessor ROM, RAM, I / O, do not stay together.

The microcontroller's single chip, it also contains RAM, RAM, I / O.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

One processes the other controls.

• 1 year ago

A microprocessor is a CPU implemented in integrated circuit form (as opposed to being built with discrete components or simple logic gates, as with CPUs prior to microprocessors.

A microcontroller is a microprocessor plus all the support devices like RAM, ROM (or flash rom) and I/O subsystems, in a single integrated circuit.

Once programmed, all it needs is a power supply to be fully functional.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Microprocessors are bulky and Microcontrollers are on a single chip.

• 1 year ago

Key difference in both of them is presence of external peripheral, where microcontrollers have RAM, ROM, EEPROM embedded in it while we have to use external circuits in case of microprocessors. 2. As all the peripheral of microcontroller are on single chip it is compact while microprocessor is bulky.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.