education?

In his historic acceptance of his party’s nomination for President of the United States, Sen. Barack Obama (D. IL) stated that it is every American’s birthright to have a college education. Is this a basic human right? What basis can Obama cite for such a claim?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Best Answer

He can't prove his claim since a positive right declaration like a right to a college education requires the property of others to exist. When your claimed right requires violence or threats of violence you have no starting point for your claim whatsoever. The only real rights are negative rights because they serve to protect people from violence instead of requiring violence like positive rights.

• David
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

No, Obama was wrong. Nobody has a "right" to a college education. For example, if a person doesn't earn a high grade in physiology, then he shouldn't be a surgeon.

The real reason Obama pushes this "right" is because colleges are mostly Marxist brainwashing factories, not true educational institutions.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

A constitutional republic needs educated well-informed citizens. John Adams wrote that a nation needs education to instill the ideals of hard work, excellence, and ambition.

• David
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

All college professors must be forced to declare the following: "KARL MARX WAS A MENTALLY-DERANGED SOT !!!" If they refuse, they must be fired.

• 8 months ago

I have a better one..... Don't I have a right to..... uknowwhat, everynite!!! My vote CAN be bought!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.