How to watch this Digital Videocassette?

I have a bunch of mini digital videocassettes made by Sony. I lost the camera years ago and I have no idea where to find the right camera, or how to convert the tapes, or even what video player I can get. Any help?

The tapes say "SONY Premium Digital Videocassette, Mini DV, DVM60 [ME] 60 LP:90"

• 1 year ago

Go to a photo store, and they can transfer them to DVDs.

• Wombat
    1 year ago

MiniDV camcorders can sometimes be found at thrift stores for under $10. Otherwise, there's pawn shops and of course online ads, yard sales, flea markets... The way to transfer the video to a computer is through a Firewire connection, so you may need to find an older laptop or desktop with such a port. It'll be labeled something like 1394, or Sony i-Link. There are/were also PCI cards, and sound cards with 1394 ports; a computer recycler like Freegeek should have something like that.

WinDV is a program that can be used to capture the video on the computer, if you're doing this on a computer that doesn't have video editing software already. Older (if not ancient) versions of Pinnacle Studio (for example) should be just fine for capture, editing, and creating and burning a DVD.

• Bernd
    1 year ago

Companies like Southtree can be found via google and will transfer the tapes to DVD.

https://southtree.com

• Mmm J
    1 year ago

Camcorders will be less $ than a MiniDV tape deck.

Per Iridflare's response: A tape recorded in LP mode by a camcorder from one manufacturer will likely not playback well using a miniDV tape based camcorder from another manufacturer. Hope SP mode was used for recording.

HDV camcorders can play 1080i encoded video and standard definition video. A standard definition camcorder cannot read HDV encoded video - only standard def video.

(I used to have Sony HDR-HC1 and HDR-FX1 and Canon Elura 60 miniDV tape based camcorders.)

If you want to get the video into your computer for editing, post another question...

• Iridflare
      1 year agoReport

It's not something I ever used, but I think some LP modes were model specific, rather than just manufacturer. And then you get heads going out of alignment, motors running at the wrong speed etc.!!

• 1 year ago

Any MiniDV camcorder will work, so long as the tapes were recorded at the normal SP. LP wasn't standard, so you're almost certainly out of luck if they were recorded that way. I'm not sure, but I think HDV camcorders will playback MIniDV.

• 1 year ago

Any functional MiniDV camcorder or VCR will do.

Yes, there Were VCRs for them ---

made by Panasonic, Sony, and JVC.

No other format can do it.

If your "bunch" is actually fairly small,

you might find it worthwhile to have them professionally transferred.