Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 year ago

Gatlinburg or Austin?

I live in Arkansas and I’m trying to figure out where to go for a vacation this summer with my 15 year old daughter and little dog. She’s been wanting to go to Austin, which I wouldn’t mind but I’m not sure if it’s safe and if we could do anything with the dog. I want to go to Gatlinburg but I’m not sure what there is to do there. We like to hike with the dog, and love swimming in any natural place. If there’s anywhere else you like feel free to tell me

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

This depends on what you like. If you want a small town/national park, then Gatlinburg,TN, but if you want an urban experience, than Austin, TX. I live near Austin by the way and have for more than 16 years, and the Austin area has parks, museums, shopping malls, and the State capitol building. Another thing is that Austin gets really hot in summer, so you should be ready for the heat. The heat is pretty easy to get used to. I haven't ever been to Gatlinburg, but want to go there someday. My family has been planning on going there one of these upcoming years. I've heard that Gatlinburg gets pretty hot in summer as well, but due to its elevation and mountainside location, doesn't get as hot as other places in the South and also Gatlinburg is near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and has some waterfalls and amusement parks. Also, are you driving or flying? You could visit Nashville as well if its on the way, you fly into Nashville, or you have time.

• MS
    1 year ago

Gatlinburg area is great for hiking and outdoor activities. You are also close to the Pigeon Forge attractions and Dollywood.

• 1 year ago

I would suggest Nashville, with a few days in one of the state parks, preferably Falls Creek Falls, where there are waterfalls and swimming holes and plenty of trails for the dog. There's loads to do in Nashville, including the Adventure Science Center.

http://www.adventuresci.org/

• 1 year ago

Gatlinburg TN is next to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and not far from a lot of tourist traps (like Dollyland) you can visit. The town is kind of tacky, full of hotels, souvenir shops, and the like. But lots of teenagers like to hang around there.

Source(s): I was there a few months ago.