Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 years ago

Why do most people in America, particularly the lower and middle social classes believe that to be married u hate to involve the government?

They believe that you don’t get a license from bueocracy u r not Married. My family is Belgian, German, and French and we are one thousand years old. Nobody i my family and families like mine do it that way. We sign a marriage contract between the two families that spells out the dowry and all that and then marry in the church. In a thousand years nobody has gone to get permission from a judge. I’m no saying that’s the only way either, and ipeople are no religious theycold just exchange vows

Well we have never had any problems wih wing able to be with our family members in hospitals, and u only get tax breaks if one spouse is frealoadin of the other, but then if you have involved he govenment in gettin married u have to involve them to be unmarried an spnloof money, and the freeloading spouse can potentially take the other’s property. Who wants that

My wife is. Grad school and many of er classmates, especially the female lower social class ones Whodont have a long or old family and tradition try to tell us we r not married we were married by a cardinal priest who is the archbishop of Vienna..it’s recorded in that Catholic Church and listed in the almanac de Gotha

We also have a Marriage contract that was negotiated ad signed by both of us and her father, and the head of my family. It spells out all finacial obligations, the dowry, what would happen if the marriage was annulled etc.. so why do so many of these Americans think we r not married

Favorite Answer

the gov't really should have no business in the legal union of two or three or x number of people. they do not interfere in corporate unions and arrangements, why do they interfere in, or abide special treatment for or sanction personal unions?

It's because they, apparently unlike you, understand that marriage is a legal contract and all legal contracts have to involve the government. It's why you have to go to court to get a divorce.

I agree. My wife and I did not get married with any governments approval. We didn’t want the government involved in our personal lives like that.

Yeah okay pal. But. miss me with your grounded trumped up theories.

In order to take part in the legal benefits of marriage , it needs to be registered as a legal , civil contract .

Sure you can be married ritually, but if your wife/husband becomes ill/unconscious, good luck trying to see them in the hospital

Because there are certain legal protections being “oficially” married and tax breaks and stuff.

Edit: Ehh don’t listen to that noise. If you want to consider yourself married but don’t care about the legal benefits, people should be ok with that actually, in my opinion. Some people are more interested in following arbitrary social rules than being flexible and understanding about people’s wants and beliefs. I was born in the US but I believe that.

I assume you meant "have". The government is involved inasmuch as it's now a legal contract that carries both benefits and potential liabilities.

The government doesn't force anyone to marry. People are free to live together.

Because the government issues the marriage license - making it legal.

• BB

????