Why do most people in America, particularly the lower and middle social classes believe that to be married u hate to involve the government?

Update: They believe that you don’t get a license from bueocracy u r not Married. My family is Belgian, German, and French and we are one thousand years old. Nobody i my family and families like mine do it that way. We sign a marriage contract between the two families that spells out the dowry and all that and then marry... show more They believe that you don’t get a license from bueocracy u r not Married. My family is Belgian, German, and French and we are one thousand years old. Nobody i my family and families like mine do it that way. We sign a marriage contract between the two families that spells out the dowry and all that and then marry in the church. In a thousand years nobody has gone to get permission from a judge. I’m no saying that’s the only way either, and ipeople are no religious theycold just exchange vows
Update 2: Well we have never had any problems wih wing able to be with our family members in hospitals, and u only get tax breaks if one spouse is frealoadin of the other, but then if you have involved he govenment in gettin married u have to involve them to be unmarried an spnloof money, and the freeloading spouse can... show more Well we have never had any problems wih wing able to be with our family members in hospitals, and u only get tax breaks if one spouse is frealoadin of the other, but then if you have involved he govenment in gettin married u have to involve them to be unmarried an spnloof money, and the freeloading spouse can potentially take the other’s property. Who wants that
Update 3: My wife is. Grad school and many of er classmates, especially the female lower social class ones Whodont have a long or old family and tradition try to tell us we r not married we were married by a cardinal priest who is the archbishop of Vienna..it’s recorded in that Catholic Church and listed in the almanac de Gotha
Update 4: We also have a Marriage contract that was negotiated ad signed by both of us and her father, and the head of my family. It spells out all finacial obligations, the dowry, what would happen if the marriage was annulled etc.. so why do so many of these Americans think we r not married