Can a high school and middle school student receive gift cards as a reward for a school-related event?

Specifically what I am asking is, are there any tax, legal, and/or workplace procedures that I need to cover for awarding my students with a gift card? The cards would be funded by private donors, each with unspecified donation amount (they do not want to claim tax credit). The award would be for basically being... show more Specifically what I am asking is, are there any tax, legal, and/or workplace procedures that I need to cover for awarding my students with a gift card? The cards would be funded by private donors, each with unspecified donation amount (they do not want to claim tax credit). The award would be for basically being outstanding students for the academic year. This is not a scholarship award btw, just a "good job this year, here is some summer spending money."