Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 years ago

If Iraq was supposedly a "democracy" before the invasion, why was Saddam Hussein labeled a "ruthless dictator"?

How can you have a dictator in a democracy exactly?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

just the other day I was talking to one of my company's new hires....we were talking about a customer of ours located in Fredericksburg, VA and I described it as "the location of one of Robert E. Lee's biggest victories"..

to this, he replied "wasn't that the guy who was, like, totally racist?"

"um, he is one of the most renowned generals in American history," I said...

"yeah but he was, like, a big racist right?"

considering this guy just graduated from a state university with a fairly good academic reputation, I guess it is impossible to totally write off this question as trolling..

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

A corrupt democracy can be in reality a dictatorship hiding behind a false facade of rigged elections and limited candidacies.

• jehen
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

No one anywhere ever claimed Iraq, under the rule of Saddam Hussein, was a democracy, except maybe the Hussein regime.

• 2 years ago

It was a "democracy" because people voted.

Hussein was a "ruthless dictator" because everyone was FORCED to vote, and there was only his name on the ballot.

Funny thing - he usually won with like 95% of the vote... guess that was to "prove" it was a "fair" election!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Saddam was a ruthless dictator, but he was a secular dictator keeping SUNNI muslims in check. Every advisor told Bush if he took him down radical Islam would take its place...they were right.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Iraq was a puppet of the USA, Bush snr gave him four billion in weapons, including land mines, chemical weapons, etc, in the eighties, which he used on Iran, and that's what they wanted him to do, so it was pretty much the USA attacking Iran, through him, for oil rights and power and money, like it usually is. They supported Al Qaeda against Russia as well. That's the sort of thing they do, they do anything to get the money, deal drugs, kill people, genocide, mass murder, torture, do you get that? They're vicious criminals, the USA. Saddam was their puppet, then he lost favor, or gained a big head.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I've literally never heard anyone argue Iraq under Saddam was a "democracy". Even if it was, some unnamed source "labeling" someone as a "ruthless dictator" doesn't prove that they are, either. You not only hear voices in your head making arguments nobody has ever made, but you don't even have basic reasoning skills. I think you should talk to a shrink.

• 2 years ago

Iraq wasn't a democracy, Saddam was a dictator, and Iraq and the middle east was better with Saddam as the dictator of Iraq.

• 2 years ago

Where are you getting your sources of people saying Iraq was a democracy? I think you're drinking too much lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.