Is it normal to not be ready for adulthood at 22? Do I have failure to launch syndrome?

I'm 21 (soon to be 22), live with my parents, and work 30 hours/week at a grocery store. My original plan was to get a job after high school and work for a couple years to save up and go to college later. However, I live in an area that's pretty much dead when it comes to jobs, so finding full-time work was... show more I'm 21 (soon to be 22), live with my parents, and work 30 hours/week at a grocery store. My original plan was to get a job after high school and work for a couple years to save up and go to college later. However, I live in an area that's pretty much dead when it comes to jobs, so finding full-time work was a lot harder than I anticipated. However, I really like the place I'm working at, so I decided to stick out with the job.

The problem is I feel like I'm not "quite ready" to embrace adulthood yet. I spend a lot of my downtime taking walks, reading books, and looking at posts similar to my situation. I feel very lost, strange, and self conscious. Often times I avoid contact with people who ask me what I do or what my plans are. There is no upward mobility at my job, which is causing a weird point of contention between my parents and I.

My mom seems to be obsessed with the idea that I'm not making enough money to live independently, and tells me I better go to university/move to a city where corporate-level jobs are more present, or find a spouse to support me. (She keeps saying I have nothing to fall back on, but it's not like I'm 30+ and still living at home.) At the same time, my dad is pressuring me to apply for jobs I know I'm not qualified enough for and doesn't understand the majority of employment is part-time.

Everybody claims part of college is "growing up". But if a person isn't in college and still doesn't have their life figured out by 22, is it bad?
1 answer 1