My boss won’t let me take time off ever. What can I do?

I’ve been a receptionist for the past two years - so I’ve accumulated a lot of pto and my boss will not let me take personal time ever. If I do want to take personal time, she has to know exactly what I’m doing and exactly what time I’ll be back and I have to let her know well in advance. Or she’ll ask me if this... show more I’ve been a receptionist for the past two years - so I’ve accumulated a lot of pto and my boss will not let me take personal time ever. If I do want to take personal time, she has to know exactly what I’m doing and exactly what time I’ll be back and I have to let her know well in advance. Or she’ll ask me if this “appointment” (it’s usually an interview so I can get out of this company) was scheduled a few weeks ago and why I’m now just telling her about it.

For example, on my daughters last day of 4th grade last year, they had a half day. My husband and I wanted to do something fun with her to celebrate. I asked my boss on Monday of that week if I could take a half day to go out with them. My boss told me no even though I had the time to take. So frustrating... lesson learned in that situation was to not tell my boss what I’m doing or tell her I have an appointment - that’s the only time she’ll let me take time off.

I understand that I’m a receptionist and it’s hard to find coverage but I’m entitled to my own pto. Is this something I can report to hr?