Olive asked in PetsCats · 9 months ago

What to do when an older cat is used to grazing on her food, while a younger one has started to over eat?

Two cats: Bailey is 15 years old, and Oliver is about 5. We found him in the road as a kitten and failed at rehoming him (lol). Bailey has grazed on her food throughout the day her whole life. Oliver was a grazer for a while, but lately its like he's been binging on the food and even sometimes throws up from eating too much.

There's not really a place to leave Bailey's food out all day where Oliver can't reach it so I'm not sure what to do. At 15 years old, I doubt Bailey is willing to change her ways. Is there a way to retrain Oliver to not gorge himself on food?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Laura
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

I would invest in one of those bowls that has a protective cover on it that only opens when it senses a specific chip on the cat's collar. This way Bailey can eat at his own pace, and Oliver can't get into it even if he tried.

Then get the cats on a feeding schedule. Bailey can have access to his food on the floor, and you fill it at the same time as Oliver, but Oliver gets his food and once its gone its gone, he doesn't get more until dinner time. I would put Oliver's bowl in a place Bailey won't want to reach.

I agree with what another person said as well, if this is a very sudden change for Oliver, you should take him to the vet to be sure this isn't caused by a medical issue.

I would also take a look at what you are feeding. Low quality foods have a very small percentage of actual nutrition. What I mean by that, is that half a cup of Friskies dry food will contain just as much nutrition as a tablespoon of high quality wet food, like from Solid Gold or Wellness. If you are feeding a low quality food, this is mostly fillers, so your cats have to eat more to get the nutrients they need. Switch to a higher quality food, it is more nutrient dense so your cats will feel full longer. Oliver may feel hungry because he isn't getting the nutrition he needs, and is overeating because of it. Its a very common thing, you see it with pets and with people.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

If Oliver’s eating habits suddenly changed it may be medically related. Have you had him vet checked for thyroid is sure, cushingsdisease, kidney issues? Give you’re a call and ask what they think.

Of all the animals I’ve had over the years whenever they change their behavior or eating or toileting habits I know they’re sick. After a few years your cat eats till he vomits either he’s missing something his body’s craving or has some other issue besides gluttony. It’s pretty rare for an animal that’s healthy to suddenly start feeling he’s starved and pig out like that. Maybe once or twice but they learn eat too much puke. My cats learned that from fresh prepared food and their favorite tinned food they gorged themsrlves on just to get sick 5 minutes later. Next feeding they barly picked at the same food they couldn’t choke down fast enough, that’s just greedy eating and doesn’t last. Have your cat checked.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.