My city is replacing old water meters. Where does the water meter have to be installed? I'm wondering if I can ask the installers to put it?

Wondering if the installers can put it in a different spot. My water meter is the crawlspace. Far from the crawlspace door. I never go down there because it's dirt floor and only 2 feet high. So I was homing that they could install it closer to the crawlspace door so I can look at the numbers on it, to make... show more Wondering if the installers can put it in a different spot.

My water meter is the crawlspace. Far from the crawlspace door.
I never go down there because it's dirt floor and only 2 feet high.
So I was homing that they could install it closer to the crawlspace door so I can look at the numbers on it, to make sure the utility company doesn't over estimate my usage.

The meter is straight across from the crawlspace door, but about 20 feet from it. Can they install the new one closer?

Or do water meters have to go in a certain location of the pipe?