How long should I give for someone to claim their kitten?

I found a 6/7 week old kitten on my porch and opened the door 🤷🏼‍♀️ he came right up to my 4 year old so I let him stay. I gave him food and water and washed him (he now looks like a totally new kitten) we have A LOT of strays around here but also a lot of roaming loose pit bulls so there is no way I am putting him... show more I found a 6/7 week old kitten on my porch and opened the door 🤷🏼‍♀️ he came right up to my 4 year old so I let him stay. I gave him food and water and washed him (he now looks like a totally new kitten) we have A LOT of strays around here but also a lot of roaming loose pit bulls so there is no way I am putting him back outside. I took him to the vet and got him shots and ear mites treatment. I put up a few signs to find his owner but only a few have contacted me, none turned out to be their cat.(I clearly stated that it's a young kitten and people looking for their adult cats got ahold of me🤦‍♀️) I got curious and put a GPS collar on him to see if he would go to his house when back out side. He didn't, he sat at my door until I let him back in so there is no way I'm letting him back outside. But we're a bit attached to the little guy so at what point should I stop trying to track down his owner? <<he is extremely friendly, loves my toddler, cat and dog he will cuddle with everyone in the house and hates to be alone which leads me to believe he was someone's pet. But at this point I have gotten him vet care and I think he likes it here. We all love him so I'm curious when I can give up on finding the owner.
16 answers 16