Steve asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 11 months ago

If we have 200 years of data saying the climate is getting warmer and two billion years of evidence saying the climate naturally fluctuate s?

How can we say that humans cause it? I'm sure we have an effect, but every life form affects their environment.

• Grace

The melting of the ice caps has led to a reduction in temperature and some glaciers are reforming. Either people will start paying attention and make adjustments or the planet could lead into a mini ice age and some life on this planet could be lost. I hope God makes sure it is the selfish humans who do not care are the ones who are gone and not the innocent animals who do not know what all of this means.

Those who are intelligent will not make more than two per family and stay with their mates. May the immoral creeps who do illegal drugs from south America be the ones who die off and are gone so planet earth has a chance. The Chinese were smart to put a limit on the number of kids many many years ago so there would be enough food for all in that country. Animals are not as stupid as humans who only care about behaving immoral and they have no love in their hearts and are soulless in my opinion when they only think having fun is the important thing in life. Those who have denied a basic decent existence from those who are trying to teach things are immoral monsters who do not deserve any place other than the hell that they have made and worship by putting their egos first.

The earth's climate has a 2 billion year history of changing from freezing to warming. We have no reason to believe the earth will not continue on it's natural climate path. Have we done things to the environment that have effected the rate of climate change? That is a big question that has many answers ranging basically from yes to no, with so called evidence in both directions.

From what I have learned in my life, the honest truth about many things are often masked, changed or outright lied about. So, it is really hard to know who's "facts" we are to believe. The older I get, the less and less I trust what our government says. People are selfish and greedy as they have their own agendas to follow.

I do not know what to believe any more and quite frankly, I am glad I will be dead sooner than later. But, until then, I will continue to enjoy my life to the fullest, as usual.

$1,000,000 prize for anyone who can figure out how the earth has warmed as much as it has without human intervention. Still hasn't been claimed after 20 or so years of being offered. No, the sun has been taken into account.....

The inconvenient truth which climate alarmists would like to bury is that the start of the industrial revolution roughly coincided with the end of the Little Ice Age (or maybe they made that disappear, I'm not sure).

You have phrased your question in an either/or format. This is called creating a false dilemma. It is quite possible that the current warming trend is cause by both- recovery from the LIA and extra CO2 pumped into the atmosphere. The climate does naturally fluctuate. Human interference could have an effect as well.

• Dirac

"[R]ecovery from the LIA..." is not a "cause", it is an effect. CO2 pumped into the atmosphere is a cause. Learn the difference.

• oikoσ

Examine those 2 billion years and compare them to the last 200. How many years did it take to make those changes? The current rate of change is unprecedented. Do you want us to sit on our hands until we go back to when the central part of North America was a shallow sea?

• JimZ

Your point echoes my point of view perfectly. The climate naturally fluctuates. We had a warm period 1000 and 2000 years ago. 6000 years ago we had what is called the Holocene Optimum where it was certainly warmer than today (yeah I know you can find propaganda that suggests otherwise). Those warm times had cooler times between them. 300 years ago it was colder, in the Little Ice Age. Since then, it has generally warmed. The warming in the last 100 years is hard to distinguish between the warming in the previous 100 years yet we have people that suggest they know that we caused the warming in the last 100 years. When you find out that those people are nearly all wacko leftists and that they are proposing a wacko leftist agenda as a solution, it shows just what their true motivations are and it isn't science.

• Darwinist

Incidently, there was more warming in the later period!

http://woodfortrees.org/plot/hadcrut4gl/from:1895/to:1947/trend/plot/hadcrut4gl/from:1957/to:2009/trend

• Cowboy

If you don't have the smarts to see it for yourself, maybe you should just go back to school.

• wilds_of_virginia

"I'm right, yore an idiot." Not a great debate tactic.

• sam

by your logic, Forest fires existed before humans came along, so people cannot start forest fires today. Climate does not care if CO2 is natural or man-made..it is a greenhouse gas that warms the planet

When you say that climate naturally fluctuates, what you really mean is that physical changes occur that affect the system. For example, ice ages don't just happen by 'magic' ... they are a consequence of some drop in temperature, caused, say, by a reduction in the amount of sunlight we receive, caused by solar variations or the earth's orbit around the sun bringing us slightly farther away, and enhanced by ice reflecting sunlight away from the earth, and oceans retaining more CO2, and so on.

The temperature rise we have observed has a physical cause. We have ruled out the sun (temperatures rose even when solar activity dropped). We have ruled out orbital perturbations and volcanoes. What we have observed is an increase in radiative forcing directly as a result of increasing CO2 levels, linked that rise in CO2 to human activities, and shown that this, along with an increase in water vapour due to higher temperatures, is the physical mechanism that best explains the data.

• Tom11 months agoReport

Please site where solar influence and rotational dynamics were ruled out (with and without latent proportion lag corrections). I have not found these.

they just tried to use that ploy to raise our taxes .....................................

• Dirac

If you want to talk about taxes and government spending, why don't you start with the 2+ trillion dollars spent on the disastrous Iraq War--it was brought to you by the same people that now deny global warming.