Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 9 months ago

Is it possible to even transfer data from a dead hard drive to a new one?

Has anyone ever tried this option before?

Favorite Answer

Yes. You can run it over a hard drive with a bolder and information can still be obtained. Its just, how much you willing to pay for it, to get that information back.

• art

yes, there are data recovery companies out there that will recover all your data for you - but its expensive, every so often I back up all my data to empty dvd disks in case anything happens to my hard drive

• Who

its possible but not likely

• $$$

I backup my data.

I backup whatever I want to keep.

I tried it, when the harddrive is dead, you can always connect it to any spare PC using a SATA cable, format it and presto. new HDD

however, it's not possible to transfer any data from a dead hdd. that's called backing up

Yes, many times and it never works, as you cannot even access the drive.

• Bill-M

Yes it is possible. I do it all the time. It is called Cloning.

Marcrom Reflect is the cloning software you need.

Depends on how "dead" and how the hard drive "died". There are data recovery services where you ship them your drive and they will dissemble it and try to recover as much data as possible. However, it isn't perfect and doesn't always work.

This kind of work requires highly specialized tools, equipment, and training, so you really don't want to open your hard drive at home and expect to be able to recover any data.

• Dave

This is 100% correct. If the hard drive failed due to electronics, the chances are high that the data can be recovered. They pull the hard drive apart in a clean room, and put the platters into a new empty hard drive. If the actuator arm is broken, it will have physically ruined the platters.