Is it dangerous that my bedroom is right near a transformer?

Update:

I just moved into a new apartment and the first night heard a strange humming noise. The next morning I looked outside and noticed a giant green transformer that powers my entire building is literally feet away from the wall near where my head is when I sleep.

I called the landlord and of course they said it had to be built to code so it should be safe, but I still am skeptical that a transformer of this size is right beside my room every night where I sleep. Should I be worried?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Due to my wife's concerns, I made measurements with a very sensitive electromagnetic field meter under power lines, around our pole mounted 50 kVA utility transformer, and around various appliances in the house. The strongest measurements I recorded anywhere, were our home humidifier and an electric blanket. If you get more than a few feet from any of the utility equipment and most overhead lines, they are virtually undetectable and presumably harmless.

• 9 months ago

Not dangerous, but upsetting? It doesn't have to be a big health threat to upset you living next to it.

• Joe
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Nothing to worry about.

People who design transformers work hard to contain the entire magnetic field within the iron core. Otherwise, they waste energy.

• 9 months ago

Better you change your apartment than to face risk.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Sleep beside such huge power transformer is bad in a long run.....

[1] The hamming desorb your hearing system.

[2] The leakage magnetic field might go through your body even you do not feel it.

[3] This transformer generates big powerful enough electromagnetic field might block signals like AM, SW, TV, FM and Wifi . Be sure to test its affect with radio, with TV antenna near the wall, make smartphone call at the nearest place where has transformer. If all the devices work well without any noise and jamming.

For me, I would not sleep in that room.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

i wouldnt think so

• 9 months ago

no problem. The 60 Hz field from it is less than a power cable lying near you, or from the wires in the walls.

• 9 months ago

That depends upon whether it’s a Heroic Autobot or an Evil Decepticon...

Seriously: No, they’re noisy but harmless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.