Movies Section: What are your thoughts on the Disney-Fox merger now being complete?

Personally, I'm conflicted. On one hand, I think a company like Disney could do a lot with Fox's franchises like Avatar and Alien, and I'm definitely hyped to see the X-Men/The Fantastic Four in the MCU. On the other hand, the thought of 1 company having this much unrivaled control over the entertainment sector does kind of worry me.

But enough of my thoughts. What are yours?

Favorite Answer

I have similar thoughts to yours. I'm all for capitalism, don't get me wrong, but now you have the same parent company ruling over Disney characters, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and now Fox. Soon enough, there won't be any reasonable competition, and the company will be cannibalizing itself for profit before potentially imploding completely! I guess time will tell.

At least fox news decided to not be part of the merger. Fox News under Disney's umbrella would exist in name only. Like them or not, having news networks with differing ideologies is a good thing.

Plus, I don't don't think I could handle Shawn Hannity becoming the newest Disney princess.

For me, your last sentence says it all. These already-huge companies are buying up other companies in the same field (media and entertainment) and they are turning into bona fide machines of ownership - moving inexorably close to monopolies. Somehow these companies are finagling around any monopoly laws. Disney owns too much as it is. I don't like it. At all.

• Can't wait for Mickey Mouse Vs. Aliens.

• Zeke

I'm excited because of what this means for the expansion of the MCU. It now features the entirety of the Marvel universe. But I do hear you. Should one company hold all of this power? I think the smarter move would've been for Fox to sell all of the Marvel stuff and keep everything else for themselves. I'm not sure Disney can do some movies as good as Fox. For some reason, my first thought is Kingsman. I don't see Disney making a good Kingsman movie. I just don't have a good feeling about that. But we shall see, we shall see.

All in all, as long as we get X-Men and Fantastic Four in the MCU, it'll be worth it to me.

Fox, known for it's right wing political views merging with Disney who's actresses use their fame to push leftist SJW issues. Should be interesting....

• Mr Monster

The politics of Fox really only applies to Fox News, and Fox News is not part of the merger with Disney, so I really don't think that'll be an issue.

Could not care less about the Fantastic Four, but YESSSS! I am so psyched to see X-Men / Avengers cross-over. Also, so looking forward to seeing Deadpool get to play with everyone now.

I am very conflicted that Disney and Fox merged. But I wish that Walt Disney Pictures will not do Fox Franchise like Alien, Avatar, Die Hard, etc. Because Some Alien movie franchises, Die Hard Movie franchises, Kingsman Trilogy, and other R-rated movies will not touch Walt Disney Pictures but continue to do Fox as Fox keeping the logo. I am very hype to see X-Men and Fantastic Four in MCU. Fox will do some R-rated Movies just like Touchstone, Hollywood, Miramax, and Dimension. Walt Disney pictures will leave Fox's R-Rated Movies Alone.

I'm not that worried about the monopoly aspect. There's still plenty of competition. The problem is that the competition isn't very good. And neither was Fox lately.

I think in general, we tend to over-worry about monopolies. Natural monopolies are quite rare. Most monopolies exist because the government is granting some special protection to a particular company.

I'm willing to wait and see. I do have reservations, but I also think that this could allow the studio more opportunity to focus on smaller films in addition to their blockbusters, since they'll obviously have the capital available to do so. There's a great deal of potential here, but it depends upon what the studio execs decide to do with it.