James asked in TravelAir Travel · 9 months ago

Question about Flying?

So my fiance and I are flying to Hawaii next year from NJ. We have two options

1. Fly from Newark to Hawaii on a 13 hour flight with 1 stop

2. Fly a non stop 10.5 hour flight from Boston to Hawaii. (But we would have to drive 5 hours to get to Boston)

Option 1 has a little cheaper price but nothing crazy.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Were it me, I'd take the Newark flight unless the 1 stop layover is more than four hours.

For one thing, 13 hrs is a long time to sit in an airplane. The chance to get up and walk around a bit, maybe grab a meal, would be welcomed by me.

True 10.5 hrs is a bit faster. But frankly 2.5 hrs shorter is not something my butt would recognize. I go numb down there after about 6 hrs. And your five hour drive to Boston is in itself another butt numbing event.

Finally, I'm not wild about Logan Airport. Much prefer Newark because it's much more efficient.

• 9 months ago

Take the non-stop flight.

• Joseph
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Factor in the gas, tolls, and parking, will that be more or less than the price difference between a non-stop and a one stop flight? By the way, Hawaiian Airlines has a non-stop flight from JFK to Honolulu.

• MS
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

I myself would prefer the longer flight time, even with a stop, to having to drive for 5 hours. And I know that I really wouldn't want to drive 5 hours back home after returning from that trip. To me, the difference in flight/travel times isn't all that significant and having a break between flights might be nice. But this is certainly something that varies by personal preference, so I could understand the desire to shorten the flight time; I'd rather have shorter overall travel time though.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

I'd rather fly longer and not have to drive. But there's a lot to be said for non-stop flights. Could you spend a day or two in Boston to make the drive worth while?

• John
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

You can do arithmetic, can't you? And where are you going to put the car?

• John
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

And TD's aside, the arithmetic part is that the drive is actually 10 hours.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.