Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 8 months ago

What year was the start of Americans only choosing either the Republican or Democratic candidates as the US President?

PS... this is not homework.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • p37ry
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

It isn't as black and white as that. The current political parties find their roots in other, earlier parties that existed in the US and before. They evolved into the parties we see today, but it has always essentially been two main parties in the US - with the current system taking hold after the Depression in 1933. See source for more.

• blu
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Lincoln was the first republican presidential candidate in 1860 (Andrew Jackson the first dem in 1828) thus setting the standard for the current 2-party system of dem/rep we know today. Occasionally, a 3rd party makes a difference like TR's Bull Moose in 1912 or Perot's Reform Party in 1992.

• 8 months ago

Well, the start of Republicans and Democrats becoming the two BIG parties was in 1860. Before that it was the Whigs and the Democrats.

And ever since 1860, it's pretty much been all Democrats and Republicans. Yes, there are small third parties, and they do win local elections and even in Congress every now and then. But that's infrequent.

• 8 months ago

Never. You can vote for anybody you want, even a write-in candidate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

That has NEVER happened and NEVER will. I will NEVER vote for either of those narcissistic warmongering scumfucks for my entire life. Even after I die at least 80 years from now, rational US citizens(centrists) will still exist

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.