How can I help my baby sleep in her crib?

My husband and I recently had a beautiful baby girl. He already has children, but our daughter is my first. She doesn't like sleeping in her crib (was okay with it the first week). We can put her to sleep and put her in the crib, but when she doesn't sleep well and soon wakes up crying until I get there.... show more My husband and I recently had a beautiful baby girl. He already has children, but our daughter is my first. She doesn't like sleeping in her crib (was okay with it the first week). We can put her to sleep and put her in the crib, but when she doesn't sleep well and soon wakes up crying until I get there. Then we can't get her back to sleep unless she is laying on one of us, despite being fed, changed, and burped. He thinks she needs to learn to "self-soothe" because his other children did it from an early age. I think this is a shock for her because she's 3 weeks old and spent 9 months in the womb. All she knows is my womb, scent, and being close to me. At what age is what he says true? How can I help our baby get better sleep at night in her crib?
13 answers 13