Was actress Ava Gardner serious when she said Melbourne, Australia, is the perfect place for the end of the world?

Ava Gardner made a movie in Melbourne, Australia, in the 1950s called "The Beach", about the end of the world and the last of humankind surviving in Melbourne. She made a comment that Melbourne is "the perfect place to make a film about the end of the world". Her co-star Gregory Peck didn't... show more Ava Gardner made a movie in Melbourne, Australia, in the 1950s called "The Beach", about the end of the world and the last of humankind surviving in Melbourne.

She made a comment that Melbourne is "the perfect place to make a film about the end of the world". Her co-star Gregory Peck didn't make any comments, although throughout the years, a lot of US actors have called Melbourne the "backside of the world".

I live in Melbourne myself and couldn't agree anymore. I think I've become truly mentally unwell living here and want to relocate to USA.