John asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 years ago

Contradictory sources in politics?

This is one of the big things that keeps me indecisive in a lot of views.

How can you make a decision when all the sources contradict each other?

Liberals claim this, Conservatives claim that, some other group claims that.

Ok, which one is true? I don't have all the time in the world to dig into the statistics, do the analysis, see if what was reported in the news actually matched what happened, and so on.

Update:

Bottom line somebody is lying, or nobody knows what they are talking about.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I notice you only list "Liberals" and "Conservatives" instead of the entire spectrum of political points of view that exist in the huge and very diverse Democratic party (ranging from blue-dog or conservative Democrats to centrists like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, to progressives seeking change, to freedoms-protecting liberals and any combination thereof as well as our Independent supporters like Bernie Sanders). The Republican party used to be more diverse, too---but the nefarious covert KOCH DONOR NETWORK cited in "DARK MONEY: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" by Jane Mayer (2017) chose to bully the once-more-moderate GOP into a compliant alt-right fanaticism that moderates-in-hiding Republicans chose to support rather than face a Koch brother oil barons' primary challenge by a Tea Party extremist.

Suggestion: Read a lot. The "DARK MONEY" book describes in detail and in a chronological order the Koch network of absolute power seeking billionaires who want to do away with that pesky "democracy" requiring Congressional oversight or consumer protecting rules by which they must abide. There are other well-researched books such as "Kingdom Coming: The Rise of 'Christian' Nationalism" (2006) by investigative journalist Michelle Goldberg; "The Making of Donald Trump" by Pulitzer Prize winning journalist David Cay Johnston; a former Republican "attack dog" David Brock (2004), "The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy"; and the undercover exposure of former Harper editor, Jeff Sharlet (2008), "The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power" plus (2010), "C Street: The Threat to American Democracy."

Watch C-SPAN1 (House sessions uninterrupted) and C-SPAN2 Senate sessions gavel-to-gavel) and get to know how each elected lawmaker makes decisions or engages in debate and how they ultimately vote. Use the Sunlight Foundation sponsored sites to stay fully informed, to include ReadTheBill.org (read each piece of legislation in its entirety, looking for hidden meanings or poison pills that the hardcore right-wing extremists like to sneak into an otherwise halfway decent bill). To track lobbyist dollars in Washington use littlesis.org and opensecrets.org for keeping tabs on how much lobbyist money is going to whom.

Do what you can to stay informed. You might even want to consider running for office yourself---one way to get to know firsthand the answer to your question.

• 2 years ago

Don’t trust anyone who specifically tells you to. Honest people think trust is a given, liars know otherwise. Also, if the headline and text are clearly designed to illicit an emotional response, like anger or outrage, that’s questionable. Feelings aren’t truth. Your emotions drive your actions, so letting someone tell you how to feel is letting them tell you what to do. Me, I trust sources with more eyes on them who couldn’t get away with the lies that would go unnoticed on some nutball’s YouTube channel or reddit thread, but that’s the only place some people can go to find confirmations for their fringier beliefs, which is what they really value.

• 2 years ago

Follow the money

• 2 years ago

With access to the internet it does not take all that long to look into a story that interests you .

I suggest looking for freelance journalists that have no obvious allegiance to a specific party .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.