Is improper use of grammar directly linked to self respect and trustworthiness?

So I am involved in an on-going debate on whether or not misusing grammar shows you certain traits about someone else. The few I cannot seem to grasp as being logical is the idea that if I were to not use proper grammar during a conversation ( such as using "slang" ), then the other participants of said... show more So I am involved in an on-going debate on whether or not misusing grammar shows you certain traits about someone else. The few I cannot seem to grasp as being logical is the idea that if I were to not use proper grammar during a conversation ( such as using "slang" ), then the other participants of said conversation will never view me with any more respect than they have already given me from then on. Or, the idea that if I use improper grammar that I do not value myself highly; so much so that I do not aspire to move forward in life. As a result, misuse of grammar also deems I am untrustworthy of any important tasks.

I understand that when you present yourself to someone else, your overall attitude is paramount. Furthermore, I can understand in a professional setting that you must present yourself as an intellectual and as someone who is capable of critical thinking. In a casual setting ( the setting in which we are arguing), I simply cannot see myself devaluing or distrusting someone else simply based on grammar.

Can someone give me a compelling argument as to why these ideas are logical and correct? Or can someone support me and explain why they are not logical to think this way of others? I just can't seem to understand this kind of thinking.
1 answer 1