How to convince my parents to let me go to the college I want ?

My parents think that the money spent on a well-ranked college abroad is not worth it, and want me to study in my own country where its college ranks are the lowest in the world! I care about the quality of education where they care about the costs! I get that colleges are pretty expensive but that s what scholarships are made for, and I m also willing to get a job. What should I do?

• 1 year ago

If you have a scholarship and a job, why do you need your parent's permission?

• Zhu
    1 year ago

Come up with money yourself.

• 1 year ago

if only wishes were horses.....

• 1 year ago

You may be 'willing' to get a job - but will that cover the costs in the slightest? Studying abroad is very expensive.

• 1 year ago

You are properly concerned about the quality of your education. A bachelor's degree from a very low-rated school is not much help for getting into grad school if you eventually aim for advanced degree(s).

However, financial aid for foreign students is scarce (often unavailable at all), and competition for such funds can be extremely tough. A few countries have scholarship programs for citizens to study abroad & bring back needed knowledge & skills for the country's development. E.g. India has such a program, but is now almost exclusively for advanced degrees as bachelor's degrees are now common.

You can only work your way through school in your country of citizenship. All countries severely restrict or outright prohibit work by foreign students. Even where limited work is allowed, most foreign students never find any job. The "lucky" few who find part-time jobs quickly discover they cannot earn enough for either school OR living expenses after paying costs of working (taxes, uniforms or proper attire, transportation, etc.). Also, you must prove you have sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to your country of citizenship to apply for student visa. No money = no visa.

Research & apply for all the scholarships you qualify for. If accepted by a university, apply for financial aid if they have any available for foreign students. If you were accepted at a good school, your parents might loosen their purse strings! Have another discussion with your parents on costs to see what they can afford. And work! American kids often start earning & saving money by age 12-14 for their future college costs - long before they can get any job! Look for part-time jobs & other ways to earn money while you're still in your country finishing high school.

• drip
    1 year ago

Usually, for an undergrad degree there are not many scholarships available to international student. And most scholarships do not cover you total cost of attending. Not all will allow you to work. Or there will be restrictions to your job,

You are better off doing your degree in your country and then applying for your Masters degree elsewhere

• y
    1 year ago

You go to school on their dime at the crappy schools in your country, then. When finished you'll be old enough to get a visa and such on your own and go to the schools in the country of your choice. Sure it is a pain in the ***, some of it will be transferable, you will have to work also, but it is doable.

• Laurie
    1 year ago

It's simple. If you think they are wrong to be concerned about cost, pay for college yourself -- and go wherever you want to go.

Otherwise, be grateful they are willing to pay for college at all -- many parents are NOT -- and abide by their wishes.

• Rick B
    1 year ago

If you are able to pay for it without your parents' help, then go to the school of your choice.