Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 9 months ago

Can a candle still be used if the wick burnt off or broke?

4 of my candles had the wick broken off and I can not light it. What do I do? The candle is still new and have plenty of wax left. It’s brand new. How do I light it if the wick burned off or broke off?

Favorite Answer

Scrape a bit of wax away to reveal the wick.

If you have a dinner candle, simply take the candle to the cutting board and carefully, with the candle on it's side, cut back the wax all the way around the wick with a knife until enough wick exposed to light the candle.

If you have a pillar candle, you will have to dedicate some time near the candle while it is first burning in order to get the wick reset. Dig out the wax about 1/4 inch around the candle wick. Light the candle. When the melted wax fills the well that you dug out, empty the melted wax out of the candle. Repeat this melting of and emptying the wax just a few times. The candle should be good to burn normally.

In the future, the next time you light a candle, with a scissor, cut off any excess wick, always leaving 1/4" of wick left on the candle. The reason for trimming the wick is so that it does not burn too hot, shortening the lifespan of the candle.

you need the wick to light a candle

Sadly, everyone else has already given such good answers that there's nothing for me to answer.

• drip

If it is a yanknee candle they will swap it out for you.

Really digging it out doesn’t work. The wax pools around the wick and puts it out.

Cutting a slice the candle on its side isn’t an easy thing to do.

You will be messing with this the whole life of the candle.

I would try to take them back to the store you got them from.

Cut or melt off about ¼ inch of the wax to expose some wick and then use as normal.

cut off a top slice of the candle wax to reveal the wick again

Dig down to find it, and toss out the wax you’ve dug out.

• DIEGO.

nice question!

Just hold the candle upside down and hold a lighter or match under where the wick broke. The wax should melt revealing the wick - Do at an angle, or the wax will melt onto your hands.