Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 9 months ago

Are women in the U.S. oppressed?

57 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

I'm from UK so not an inside perspective, but the only oppression I see are against moderate and conservative straight white guys in universities and the media

• 9 months ago

I can tell you definitively, yes. As a waitress, who serves with men, I see the differences every day. I have men, old enough to be my grandfather, even my great-grandfather, touching my arms, wrapping their arms around my shoulders, holding my hands, touching my face, putting their hands on my hips, making awkward remarks. Every. Single. Day.

I’m a born and bred American woman. Red hair and white skin, splattered with freckles. But trust me, being raised by a veteran cop, I can handle myself just fine. Still, there are a good portion of days where just because I’m a woman, I’m scared to f-ing death.

At work, customers see me as a piece of a** they could maybe take home for a night. I carry a can of mace because too many cars have tried following me home at night. On my first date, at 14 years old, the boy I was with stuck his hand down my panties just because he wanted to, even though I tried to fight him off.

Women are absolutely still oppressed in the U.S. Even if you don’t see it.

• 9 months agoReport

Sometimes the workplace is on the battlefield. Get over it. I'm not here to die for your pleasure

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

No. That's why they are so spoiled.

• 9 months ago

Why would they be?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

No, women in the u.s are probably the most privileged women in the world. However, there are still certain double standards that occur in the u.s. But I wouldn’t say we’re oppressed. This is coming from a feminist

• 9 months ago

Yes they are oppressed. They are oppressed in a similar way that the Queen of England is oppressed.

As Michelle Obama observed, during a G20 summit, that she and the Queen of England; "We were just two tired ladies oppressed by our shoes".

So there you have it.

The tremendous oppression faced by American women. Just like the Queen of England.

• Jason9 months agoReport

People in power have responsibility of power, if the queen didn't wanna be queen she'd just advocate the throne, if parliament was oppressing her she has the power to completely dissolve it, and yh I bet she's tired she's been queen for over 60 years and she's getting on a bit now

• 9 months ago

It s probable that some women are oppressed, if they re in an abusive relationship or family.

• Jason9 months agoReport

Couldn't the same be said for anybody though?

• 9 months ago

Yes. There are STILL some women in the United States who are still being encouraged to use Microsoft's so-called MS-Office programme instead of LibreOffice.

Women deserve better.

LibreOffice --- The Better.

• 9 months ago

That would depend on who you ask, but American women are the most enlightened and respected women in the world. The alleged gender pay gap almost disappears when all factors are equal, for instance when there is a company with twenty associate engineers and two of them are women.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

terribly !!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.