I'm going to install a kitchen exhaust that vents out. I need to drill a exhaust hole in the exterior brick wall. Any suggestion how to?

• GTB
    1 year ago

hammer drill

1 year ago

First of all you should investigate what types of fixtures you can buy. I would make the hole by drilling a circle and chiseling out the remainder. Mortar around it will seal it later.

You'd better not tamper with it if you don't own it. A hole can let in rats.

1 year ago

I can only tell you how I have it. My stove butts up against a wall to which the bathroom is on the other side. So the kitchen exhaust fan sucks up the steam and it goes through a charcoal filter and is vented back into the kitchen. 40 years and no PROBLEM whatsoever. I also have a kitchen window to the outside that I never open in the winter snow months.

. This is the option I would look at as the brick wall is something you don't want to cut through because it just looks STUPID. It ruins the look of the brickwork. Less are being popped out through the walls to the outside. I rarely see it because the oven is not on the outside wall. Sometimes it goes to the roof top (but even that is rare with houses that are bi level or single level...built in the 70's and newer. Commercial kitchens(restaurants) have a bigger fan and shoots up to the roof or out the wall.(I remember hotels that are 70+ years old and they have very large fans. about 2 feet across) This is what is done when you really can't go outside.

• 1 year ago

I wouldn't drill the hole. I would remove enough bricks to install the vent. After the vent is installed, I would re-brick around it with cut bricks.

Paul H gave the ONLY answer so far that is REMOTELY professional.

• Steve
    1 year ago

There are several good suggestions here. It depends on how neatly you want the hole and how much time you want to put into it. Neat and professional? Hire someone or rent a wet core drill. Wanna DIY? Follow Paul H's example.

• paul h
    1 year ago

I've done that on a couple occasions and usually I just mark the hole location with a marker or pencil and drill out the mortar seam in the bricks in the center with a hammer drill/bit...remove the large brick sections and chisel/chip away any remaining bricks as close to the circle as you can. Or drill a circular series of holes in the bricks just outside the edge of the circle and break out the brick pieces inside the hole area with a chisel. Use a good quality hammer drill (often rented at some home centers) and 6" X 1/8" - 3/16" carbide bits to keep the drill holes as small as possible to keep a cleaner hole edge..Install the duct and silicone caulk the perimeter areas of any gaps.

• y
    1 year ago

Core drill, don't know if yo can rent one or not, use to use them all the time for running electrical and refrigerant lines. If you can't do that, I might draw my hole on the bricks, take them individually, then nip ad trim them up to fit, then replace them.

1 year ago

You can get core drill bits for about thirty quid or hire for even less. Compared to faffing about with a regular masonry bit and bolster, well worth the money and gives a much neater job.

• 💜
    1 year ago

Maybe using a diamond wet core drill for a clean hole with no breaking bricks