Can I start a business while working for a company? I always award Best answer.?

I work in the automotive industry and I have a business plan similar to the place I work for already. Can I register a business name and start it up while still working for this company and then quit and focus on my business? Which will basically be the same business I m doing now but in my own name? I m in Ontario... show more I work in the automotive industry and I have a business plan similar to the place I work for already. Can I register a business name and start it up while still working for this company and then quit and focus on my business? Which will basically be the same business I m doing now but in my own name? I m in Ontario Canada. Need to know legally what I can and cannot do
I appreciate your help and thanks in advance. All trolls will be reported and ignored and I always award a best answer.