sin asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 months ago

My boyfriend of 8 years is 365 lbs and his height is 5'11. The BMI calculator said he was at a serious health risk. Tips on how to save him?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You cant. He needs to want to make a change. You cant force change on him. The best way to encourage someone is to just lead by example and hope they follow. You can offer him home cooked meals and let him know when you are going to exercise and ask if he wants to join. Another thing you could do is encourage him to have a full checkup to see if hes developing/has any medical problems because that will often get people to make a change.

• sin9 months agoReport

I really appreciate your advice, I think I’ll start to try to cook healthy homemade meals for him and maybe see if he’ll go for a walk with me. I really appreciate your help!!

• 9 months ago

He needs to do this: Move more, eat less. That is the key. Only eat when you are SO hungry, you would eat ANYTHING in your refrigerator, and I mean even that old jar of olives of mustard on a piece of bread. And drink lots of water, and get out and move - walk. It works. Also, cut down on sugars.

I was 380, and I'm 5'11. But HE has to do it. Somehow, he has to adjust his mind to WANT to do it, otherwise, it won't work. I was 216 when I weighed in this morning.

• 9 months ago

Besides not eating junk, processed foods, and exercising, he needs therapy as to why he is trying to fill up the hole in his heart, from the past.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

repeated question ****************************************************************

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Tell him your concerned for his health and ask him to see a doctor and therapist about it

• A C
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Make low fat meals for him. Get him to go for walks with you. Pray for him. Also, if you two have never asked Jesus Christ into your lives as Lord and Savior, now would be a good time. We never know when our last day will be. Knowing he is in heaven should he die soon will ease the pain of losing him. Please read the New Testament for more information. I suggest starting with the Gospel of John; then Romans. Find a Bible-believing church to attend, like Baptist. Ask the pastor and other Christians to pray for him.

• 9 months ago

As other's have said, you can't save him. You can encourage and support his efforts, but only he can decide to make the necessary changes. Here are some ideas you can try:

1. Encourage him to get a physical exam and a full blood panel. He needs to know what health issues he may already have and, sometimes, getting a stern warning from an MD is a wake-up call.

2. STOP buying or eating junk food, fast food, snack foods, sweets and treats when you are together. A person who is over 300 pounds probably is enjoying a lot of low-nutrient, high calories foods. Even if you can eat these foods, you need to stop enabling him. So no more take out, pizza, drive-thru, etc.

3. Get off the couch, turn off the Netflix, and get outside. Even if you are just walking in a park or zoo, it is healthier to be moving.

4. Invite him to join you in doing exercise. You can follow a DVD exercise plan at home. No gym or equipment required.

5. See if he is willing to read some books with you. Reading some diet/nutrition books like The Plant Paradox, Bulletproof diet, The Whole 30, Stop Eating Your Heart Out. The Keto Rest Diet, Extreme Transformation: Life Long Weight Loss in 21-Days, or many others. Once people begin to understand the biochemistry and psychology around over-eating and health, they can make wise choices about making lifestyle changes.

• 9 months ago

You cant force him, he has to want to make the change for himself. I am sure he is aware that hes big and does not need reminded. What you need to do is be there to support him. Best advice for him is start small, get active take short walks. Also make a diet change and also eat healthy as well. Dont be the one that makes him eat a salad while over endulge on a pizza. It takes two and being supportive will go a long way. But in order for all this he has to be one the one that makes it happen. Its his health and no one else's

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

This is how, and yes, this is the cure for most obesity AND the prevention of obesity-related diseases (which have nothing to do with obesity itself but share a cause.)

A poison in your regular diet is what causes obesity AND diabetes II, most heart disease, most hypothyroidism, IBS, acne, eating disorders and more.

Obesity is caused by overeating. NOT YOU CHOOSING TO OVEREAT, but a CHEMICAL REACTION.

The presence of a poison in the regular diet causes liver inflammation which causes dysfunction that prevents the release of the hormone leptin (which tells the brain that the body is full).

Obese people's brains think that they are starving. Isn't that awful? Obese people are blamed for their obesity as being the result of gluttony and sloth. WRONG!

The liver dysfunction ALSO causes other organs to become dysfunctional, like if the pancreas starts to fail, we call it diabetes II and if the skin starts to fail, we call it acne or sensitivity.

Out of room and SO much...

Source(s): ...info to give. You already know the worst poison (alcohol), but the country isn't a bunch of alcoholics, so the most common poison is fructose w/o enough fiber (why whole fruit is fine). Sources of fructose w/o fiber are: sugar, HFCS, honey, nectar, juice, molasses, maple syrup and white flour products (most sliced breads, crackers and pastas.) Stop consuming this junk (yes, NOT food) and he and you will no longer be at risk of developing diabetes II or most heart disease AND the fat will stop being created. I never knew the feeling of full until 2.5yrs ago. I knew physically stuffed. If you have a mind for science, read the book that convinced me to quit the sugar addiction: "Fat Chance..." by Dr. Robert Lustig M.D. I urge you to watch the YouTube video "Sugar: the Bitter Truth. " These fundamentally changed my life...for real. I hope that you don't brush off this PSA.
  • 9 months ago

You can't save him. He has to save himself. He has to change his relationship with food.

• runningman022003
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

You may find it too succinct, but its not right to simply label it "wrong" with no explanation.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

It’s up to him. Food addiction is difficult. I’m 6’1 and 315. It sucks. Maybe he should see a dietitian and try and make a lifestyle change. Some can do it, others chat. Good luck to the both of you.

• Andy C
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Food addiction DOESN'T suck; it keeps you alive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.