Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 11 months ago

Do I need to wake my 3 month old up to eat in the middle of the night?

My baby takes very short naps during the day but will sleep anywhere for 6-10 hours at night. During the day he gets about 5 ounces every four hours and 6 ounces before bed. Should he be sleeping through the night like this or should I be waking him up every 4-5 hours ?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

He's not a brand new newborn any more. As long as he's alert when awake, growing well and wetting enough diapers, you can let him sleep.

Just consider yourself fortunate.

• Linda

You don't. Like the old saying goes...........DO NOT WAKE A SLEEPING BABY.

He will wake up when he's hungry.

• Amanda

No, at 3 months he doesn't need to be.

No, and be thankful he is sleeping through the night! He will wake up when he is hungry or needs to be changed, so let him sleep and you do the same.

• Edna

Good heavens no! .. don't wake him up. If he's sleeping through the night, then he's not hungry and he doesn't need to be fed. Let him sleep!

No not anymore. As long as weight gain is fine. My son slept 12 hours straight at 12 weeks and would eat a ton in the day to make up for it. He grew like a weed.

No, he will wake up if he is hungry.

Our girls started sleeping longer stretches at that age.

Its fine to let him sleep through it without feeding. Just make sure when he's up that you're up and feed him. My baby was sleeping through the whole night at 3 months as well.

At 3 months your baby still needs a feed or two during the night. At 4 months they can sleep eight hours or more without needing to eat.

• GB

The baby will wake if he's hungry. Some start sleeping through the night as early as three weeks.

I meant Wake him up to eat that is. Not just wake him up for no reason just wanted to clarify

• Edna

Don't ever wake him up to feed him. If he's sleeping, he's not hungry and he doesn't need to be fed.

• Petter

Why on earth would you wake him up? Babies are pretty helpless, but they can still let you know when and if they are hungry or not...

• Edna

Shania: It all boils down to this: No matter how much of a "heavy sleeper" he might be, if he gets hungry during the night he's going to wake up on his own and let you know about it.