Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 9 months ago

At what age is it appropriate for a kid to get a cell phone?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If the child is responsible, I would say around 11-12 . I got my first phone when I was 11 1/2 . Only if the child is responsible. The first phone I got was an LG flip phone which I had till I was 13 then I got a Alcatel smartphone. If you don't know if the child is responsible then I suggest you get them a cheap starter phone to test their maturity. (I assume you are a parent asking this). I would start off with a phone made for Emergencies.

• 9 months ago

I know you want your child to be safe and it is better to have a phone to communicate frequently, but if possible, don't indulge your children with smartphones at an early age; they just become glued to those things, thanks to Social Media. Maybe wait till they're ten years old and try to get them a basic phone until they become older, like maybe around 14 or 15.

• 9 months ago

When you need to keep track of them....

• 9 months ago

I would say it all depends on the circumstances, if it’s a responsible kid and they need communication with their parents when their not there then it would be alright, but if the kid doesn’t really need one and it’s more like a want tan a need then I don’t think it would be a good idea, kids r stupid, they make stupid mistakes it’s science, even if the kid is responsible foolishness is bound to young people’s heart, so I would say the alright age when they could need one is 15+ but if the kid really needs one then it’s ok, and if it’s a youngster then maybe just get them a flip phone so they don’t become antisocial or anything like that, it honestly just depends on the circumstances. I would have to know who it is and the circumstances to tell you exactly what age they can have one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

I got my 9 yr. old a life alert.

• 9 months ago

creedence has it

11-12 y/os...parents ought to make sure they cannot access nasty stuff,& install a remote lock down if the kid is out wildcattin & the folks wantim back in the house asap

• 9 months ago

when he's old enough to by his own.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Whenever he starts coming home alone. Mine were about ten.

• 9 months ago

After conscientious responsibility for other high-cost items

has been explicitly observed for at least one full year.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.