Help with writing a story about modern-day pirates?

My main character starts out as a child who runs away from an abusive home to join a gang who represents pirates from olden times, and pretty much grows up with the crew but probably decides by the end to leave for whatever reason but can't find a way to do so safely. I sort of want the group to dress and act... show more My main character starts out as a child who runs away from an abusive home to join a gang who represents pirates from olden times, and pretty much grows up with the crew but probably decides by the end to leave for whatever reason but can't find a way to do so safely.

I sort of want the group to dress and act a little like pirates, putting them on the high seas if at all possible and yet talking more ghetto and slangy instead of saying stuff stereotypical pirates might say ("Arrr!" and "Yohohohoho the pirate's life's for me" etc.) I'm thinking they might be some unique, unheard of gang somewhere in L.A. Just wondering if there are any books, sites, videos, etc. where I could do the proper research.