Do we really need faster PCs?

Check it out. I've got a 5 year old Desktop PC. It's got an i5-3rd Gen Quad Core CPU in it and 8 GB of memory. Well I was just playing an HD Youtube video in one window and surfing the web and typing Q&A, and my CPU never exceeded 20 percent use. Most of the time it was less than 10 percent. My RAM... show more Check it out. I've got a 5 year old Desktop PC. It's got an i5-3rd Gen Quad Core CPU in it and 8 GB of memory.

Well I was just playing an HD Youtube video in one window and surfing the web and typing Q&A, and my CPU never exceeded 20 percent use. Most of the time it was less than 10 percent. My RAM usage never exceeded 6 GB.

This is the kind of stuff most of us do.

Sure if you are doing high end gaming, or video processing, I totally get you need more capability, but for general use, isn't a 5 year old PC plenty good enough?