I want a video camera: should i get a smart phone or a camera?

I do not have a smart phone. My phone is just a basic candy bar phone. I am 68 years old. I rarely get text or phone calls so the prepaid phone works for me. My carrier is Tracfone. I can buy a Moto 6 from Tracfone for $179. It has a camera and HD video capability. Or I can buy an actual camera for about the same price. Mainly I want to take videos and post them on my social networks. Just videos of my pets and stuff.

• Frank
    Favorite Answer

There are pros and cons to the various video devices.

SMARTPHONES:

Pro: One device for pretty much everything from phone, to camera, to video camera, to calculator to audio recorder, etc...

Cons: While it does a lot of things, it doesn't do any of them well. Video is poor in low light which is being kind. You do not have a zoom but instead you're stuck with a single wide-angle lens which produces a lot of wide-angle distortion. Poor audio recording as well.

DIGITAL CAMERAS:

PRO: Takes better photos and just as good video as a smartphone. Superior optical design than what you'll get in a camera module that costs between $5-$25 (e.g. $1000 iPhone X camera costs $25). Zoom lens allows you to take a larger variety of photos and get better shots. Telephoto lens for distortion-free portraits, zoom in on the grandkids for exceptional candids.

CONS: One more device in your pocket. At just $179, the image quality isn't all that greater than a smartphone. By that I mean the sensor is super tiny just like a smartphone which produces a lot of noise. If you were to buy a used digital camera with a larger sensor, that would be a much better way to go. Here's a link to keh.com showing cameras with a 1/1.7" sensor vs the smaller 1/2.7" used in new $180 digital cameras: https://www.keh.com/shop/cameras/digital-cameras/c...

CAMCORDER:

PRO: Vastly superior video quality than any other device on the market, bar none. Here's a link to B&H showing what's on the market at the sub $200 range: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?mxp=200&ci=1...

A $200 will shoot in full HD format. Shoot 60fps. Have great image stabilization. Won't overheat and shutdown like digital pocket cameras will. Can take photos of about 8-10MP which is large enough for 8x10 photos.

CONS: Doesn't transfer images to your phone. You first download images onto a computer using a card reader and then upload them to social media. At this price point they're larger than digital cameras.

Bottom line: If you want the best results, then get a video camera. If you don't care about image quality or zooming or having the ability to capture a larger variety of photos, or just want one small device for everything, then get a smartphone. If you're more concerned with photos than video, but still want decent video, then get a digital camera.

Get a camcorder.

There are some that don't cost much.

As long as you don't expect much from them,

they can be worthwhile.

Buy a camcorder

It would be easier to use a phone since you can post directly to social media, whereas with a camera you'd have to use a computer to post your photos and videos. I'd recommend going with a phone.